Friday, September 08, 2006
Pillowghan




When I first heard the term "pillowghan", I couldn't even imagine what it was. I know what a pillow is, and I know what an afghan is, but pillowghan....what the heck.

Well, once again Crochetville is giving me an education. A pillowghan is an afghan that can fold up into a self contained pillow case. It's an afghan - it's a pillow - you got peanut butter in my chocolate!

Anyway, my mother-in-law will be going in for a hip replacement later this month. Bless her heart she is a trooper. She's obviously uncomfortable and in some pain, and she's facing major surgery and a tough recovery, but she's dealing with it all with strength and practicality. I'm so proud of her!

After the hospital she'll have to be in a rehab center for a few weeks to learn how to walk on her new hip. Hubby and I don't live nearby so we won't be able to visit. I wanted to make a few things for her to take with her - things that will remind her that we love her, but also things that she will be able to use. My first project was a pillowghan. She can use it as a lap blanket if it's cold or a pillow to help her be more comfortable.

This is the first pillowghan I've ever made, and only my second adult sized afghan. I'm pleased with how it came out. The colors don't show well, but it's a very pretty pastel lavender with a pink variegated edging.

Tomorrow I start on project number two. I'm really excited about this one because it will be my first original design! Maybe it will turn out well, maybe it will be a disaster - either way it will be fun to try!


3 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

What a nice, thoughtful gift for the stay in the rehab center! I have never had hip replacement surgery, but I have had three C-Sections, and I know lots of pillows really helped me to be more comfortable! (I got to really liking the hospital bed, too, since you could sit up and still sleep in it.) I hope your mother-in-law's surgery goes well. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My former SIL had a blanket pillow his grandma had made for him and I thought it was so clever. This one in crochet is right up my alley and would be great on my sofa as pillows which could then be afghans when it gets chilly. I could find where the pattern is, though. Do I have to go somewhere else or is it on your site?

Blogger Wormie said...

I made this so long ago, I can't find the pattern. Basically, you make squares and create the afghan, then you sew another square on top with an open side. You can get the idea here:
http://www.stephthornton.co.uk/knitting/bond/list/pillogan.htm

If you google "pillowghan" you should be able to find some photos that will help you figure it out. It's easy and fun!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG