Thursday, January 10, 2008
I love a request!
Regular readers of my blog will know that a year ago my niece had a baby, and that that baby is one of the cutest children ever born. She's one of those happy, friendly babies who never cries without a good reason and who brings great joy to everyone who knows her. I love to crochet for her, so I was absolutely delighted when my niece asked me to try to make something for her!

Like many young moms, my niece has become a big fan of BabyLegs. I have to admit that when I first heard about them, I was skeptical - baby leg-warmers seemed like an odd idea, but when I listened to my niece and thought about it, I realized that they are a great idea. They keep baby's legs warm when she/he is in a a onsie or a skirt, they're easier to deal with than baby tights, they protect little knees when baby crawls on hard floors, and they're just plain cute!!!



Last weekend, my niece asked me if I would try to make some for her daughter. She told me that if I googled, I would find lots of instructions online about how to make imitation BabyLegs from a pair of women's knee socks. I found lots of instructions, including this simple photo-tutorial, and was able to make these for my great-niece.





They were fun and easy, and I enjoyed making them for her, but of course the challenge was to design a crochet pattern for Livie Legs.

I worked on it, and feel that this was my first REAL design effort. While I've posted many original designs before, this is the first time that I really had to try things, frog it, try again, change it and rework my thought process to get something that would work for my great-niece. Nothing that would be too tight on her legs and cause pain. I think that by the nature of yarn and crochet, they're quite a big thicker than traditional BabyLegs, and really are more like baby leg-warmers. BabyLegs are thin enough to wear under baby's pants. Livie Legs are a bit thicker, but they're sort of cute if I may say so myself.



I'm waiting for Livie to test these for me - make sure they fit as they should and don't irritate her, and once I have her seal of approval, I'll be posting this pattern to share.


3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

These are FAB!!! They are perfect! Soft, cozy and very comfortable for Olivia. In fact, she is sleeping in them right now! Thank you so much for doing this for me! Now I am going to want you to make a million different pairs! Are you sorry you took on my request? :) Love you!

Blogger Wormie said...

No, Jess! I'm delighted! I'm going to rework the pattern a bit to thin out the thigh, and send you another pair. Once I get Livie's final approval, I can share the pattern with other crocheters! This was really fun for me! I'll mail you another pair and the two sock pairs soon! Love you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have witnessed Olivia in her BabyLegs and they are amazing. The ones you crocheted for her are beautiful. I am eager to see the ones you make from the socks. They are practical and stylish at the same time. Thanks for helping Olivia to be a fashion icon!
Nana Judy

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG